Metal Spinning & Assembly of a Steel Diffuser for the Locomotive Industry
(click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Metalspun Products Co., Inc. provided the spinning, fabrication, and assembly of the project highlighted here. This custom fabrication and assembly project was done for a customer in the locomotive industry. Designed as a steel exhaust gas diffuser, it was produced from ASTM A366 tested cold rolled steel. Individual pieces were sheared, circle cut, hydroformed, spun, and punched to create the concentric shapes of the diffuser. After fabrication, pieces were trimmed and deburred before TIG welding the final assembly.
The finished diffuser is 19.00" in diameter, 3.37" high, and meets tolerances of ±0.005". The diffusers were checked by visual, dimensional, and gauge inspection to ensure the final assemblies met all customer specifications. We typically produce 30 to 100 of these diffusers per order with a turnaround time of 6 weeks to our customer in Latham, New York. For more information about this metal spinning and fabrication project, see the table below, or contact us directly.
Metal Spinning & Assembly Project Highlights
- Product Name
- Exhaust Diffuser
- Product Description
- The engine diffuser dilutes the exhaust gas that comes from the engine and accelerates the gas' diffusion process.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- CNC Spinning Machine, Punch Press, TIG Welding
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Ø 19.00" Diameter x 3.37" Height
- Tightest Tolerances
- ± 0.005"
- Material Used
- 16ga Cold Rolled Steel per ASTM A366
- Material Finish
- Raw, Machined
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Dimensional Inspection, Visual Inspection, Gauge Inspection
- Industry for Use
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 6 weeks
- Delivery Location
- Latham, New York
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing
Back to Top